The Canlis Caesar Salad
2 tomatoes cut into eighths
1 large head of romaine lettuce, cut into one-inch squares
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup crisply cooked bacon, drained and chopped
1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
3/4 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup croutons
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 coddled egg
1 cup olive oil
Additional freshly ground black pepper to taste
Mix all salad ingredients but croutons and
grated cheese in a large bowl.
Place salt, pepper, lemon juice and coddled
egg in bowl and whip vigorously. Slowly add olive oil, whipping
constantly. Pour dressing over salad and toss thoroughly.
Add croutons and sprinkle in the grated
Top with pepper, to taste.
Back to top
Strawberry and Arugula Salad with Hazelnut Dressing
1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts (3 oz)
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp minced shallot
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp canola oil
2 tsp hazelnut oil
3/4 lb arugula or other fun lettuce (discard any tough stems)
1/2 lb strawberries (1 1/2 C), trimmed and quartered lengthwise
1/2 cup mild fresh goat cheese (2 oz), crumbled
- Roast hazelnuts on medium low in a pan on burner (no need to
add oil, the nuts have their own. Watch carefully or they will
burn). Cool before adding to salad.
- Wisk together vinegar, lemon juice, shallot, sugar, and salt
and pepper to taste. Add oils in a slow stream, whisking until
- Toss together arugula, strawberries, hazelnuts, goat cheese
Back to top
Smoked Duck & Walnuts with Winter Greens
1/3 cup fresh tangerine juice or orange juice
1/4 cup walnut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon raspberry vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp sugar
5 tangerines or 3 oranges
3 heads of Belgian endive, trimmed, thinly sliced crosswise
3 cups bite-size pieces frisée lettuce
3 cups bite-size pieces radicchio
1 bunch watercress, thick stems trimmed
4 ounces smoked duck breast* or smoked turkey breast, cut into
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced into rings
2/3 cup walnut halves, toasted
1/3 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- Whisk dressing ingredients in small bowl until well blended.
Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. Can be made 1 day
ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature and whisk
- If using tangerines, remove peel; separate into segments. If
using oranges, cut off peel and white pith; cut between
membranes to release segments into bowl. Toss endive, frisée,
radicchio, and watercress in large bowl with enough dressing to
- Divide salad among 8 plates. Top each with smoked duck,
onion rings, and tangerine or orange segments. Sprinkle with
walnuts and pomegranate seeds. Drizzle with some of remaining
Back to top
2 tbsp butter
2 packages top ramen—crunch up the ramen noodles by hand and
discard the flavorings
1 cup slivered almonds
2/3 cup sesame seeds
2 heads butter lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces washed then
1 can of mandarin oranges, drained
2 bunches of green onions, thinly sliced
1 bag cooked shrimp (1-2 lbs)
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp Asian sesame oil
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add noodles
and almonds. Cook, stirring often until light golden, about 5-10
minutes. Add sesame seeds and stir until toasted, about 1-2
minutes. Transfer to absorbent paper towels to cool.
- For dressing: Combine vinegar, oil, brown sugar, soy sauce
and sesame oil in a small bowl. Stir to blend thoroughly.
- Toss salad ingredients with lettuce and add dressing.
Back to top
Tomato Salad with Tapenade and Basil Dressing
2 cups pitted Kalamata olives (about 10 ounces)
4 garlic cloves
4 anchovy fillets
2 tbsp pine nuts
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
3/4 cup olive oil
12 large fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 8-10 large tomatoes, each cut crosswise into scant
- 2 to 3 8-ounce balls drained fresh water-packed mozzarella,
cut into 1/3-inch-thick rounds
- Blend olives, garlic, anchovies and nuts in processor until
- With machine running, add oil; process until blended.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Whisk vinegar, honey and mustard in bowl.
- Gradually whisk in oil. Stir in basil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Can be made 8 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
- Place 1 tomato slice on each of 8 plates.
- Spread each with generous tablespoon tapenade
- top with cheese round.
- Repeat layering.
- Top each stack with third tomato slice.
- Chop remaining tomato slices; place in bow; and toss with 2
- Spoon some dressing over each stack.
- Spoon chopped tomatoes alongside.
Back to top